It’s important to make your home safe for your family’s well-being. Radon is an invisible gas that can have deadly side effects. Here are five reasons that you should regularly test your home.
1. Radon in Your Home is Deadly
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can accumulate to unsafe levels indoors. It is the leading cause of lung cancer for those who do not smoke cigarettes. In general, it is the second-highest cause of lung cancer behind smoking.
2. Radon Cannot Be Detected Without A Test
You can’t smell, taste, or see radon. The only way to learn the accurate indoor levels of the gas is to have a professional test your home.
3. Home Buyers Will Want to Know About Radon
If you’re planning on selling your home, potential homebuyers will want to know if radon is a problem. Be sure to test for radon and mitigate high levels before the home goes on the market.
4. Homes in Specific Areas May Be At Higher Risk
Depending on where you live, you may have a higher risk of radon. A basement in your home may increase the chances you’ll have high levels of radon. Radon levels tend to rise during the colder months because people keep their homes closed up and it gets trapped inside. That being said, any home can have high levels of radon at any time of the year.
5. 1 in 15 Homes Test High For Radon
1 in 15 homes in the United States has elevated radon levels. The EPA says that action should be taken when concentrations are 4 pCi/L or higher. Radon can easily enter your home through small cracks in your foundation or unsealed spaces around pipes, and once it gets in, it builds up.
Have your home professionally tested whether you are selling your home, buying a new home, or living in a home with unknown levels.